The Grid is South Africa’s first location-based mobile social network. Users can upload content and tag it to specific locations, recommend venues (e.g. clubs; restaurants; etc.) and get directions to venues recommended by others.
- Increase The Grid’s brand awareness
- Show it’s location based functionality
- Generate interest around the brand and
- Get free PR coverage
What we did:
- We created a ‘Mood Map’ whereby users on The Grid updated their moods every day. This was broadcasted on ETV after the weather report.
- The moods were displayed according to province and showed that the majority of that specific province was happy, grumpy, hungover, in love, etc.
- We created a map to resemble the same layout as the actual weather map. So the weatherman could also present the moods in South Africa in the same way as the weather.
- Television coverage
- Coverage both in print and online.
- We can deduce that over a million viewers were exposed to The Grid’s mood maps.
- A total of 24 various publications reported on this innovative technology
- Three main newspapers published the story: Beeld, Cape Argus and Volksblad
- A numerous amount of people blogged and tweeted about it